Sunday, September 4, 2011

Why I disdained Popularity through School

It is often striven, mostly by the younger crowd to be a known figure, be important and to follow other's examples. Being "Cool" or "Hip" so to speak so that one would receive innumerable benefits in the league of a social status. I learned early on in my life that although being cool was nice, it was not a primary factor in my goals or if it would dictate my success. Popularity is a nice thing to have and I have no personal disdain for popular people in general, but the people in such position to make a sort of caste system for the school. To teach that one who does not follow a certain order is somehow less worthy, and generally should be ignored. The skills of which such a person or group of people generally provide little in the way of progress and more as an extension of the current time to benefit.

  Absolute power corrupts Absolutely
The general trend I equated to, but does not signify the presence of popularity was one of change. An innocent person could be transformed into some tool or fall into a state of supreme narcissism. It changed people to fit the nature of it's intention. Not always did this happen but from my personal experience I'd seen it more than I wanted to. Many people became less social and more focused on the appearance of themselves, more quick to place judgement, and less willing to contribute to the overall atmosphere of classrooms and the school. Friends became separated over trivial issues such as interests, some of which were irrational for the age and others because of peer pressure.

Skill vs appearance
I chose early enough that I would follow only a path that led to reward. The path of education for education, because without it I was to be doomed in the long road that is life. Being known is one thing, but being able to perform life skills is another. The friends I have called my own, are there because popularity was, as it is to me a commodity for them. We shared many interests and our knowledge was sufficient to be able to utilize it for the better of the group or individuals as whole. Even if we may have been separated academically, we could still aid each other in our own areas as well as specialized knowledge that we each possessed, no matter how silly. History commonly looks up to those who have strided out to seek knowledge rather than attention, or rather seek knowledge before attention. I have chosen this path because it yields great potential. Almost every single technological advancement in history has been propagated by men who dedicated their life to seeking out answers or solutions.

Double-Edged
This however, along with my raising brought forth many a big problem. Having always been a gentle, helpful person that I was raised to be, I was often the attention of a different type of popularity. Throughout my school years I lacked the ability to be able to reject a person. This led to many a situation where I was asked to complete tasks or aid those who did nothing. It lasted from as far as I can remember in Elementary to my last High school days. It was painful, to watch myself give in to such demands from average and popular beings. I was intelligent and very caring for my fellow classmates, but was never given back the only thing I asked for, which was recognition for aid. I did not want my name to go around to be popular, I simply wanted to be thanked without having to ask for it.

What now?
To this day, I continue my path forward onto that which more greatly rewards me in potential and reality. The great focus on education has left me with good standing, with both many educators and adults. I have been able to focus on many things and even get what I crave for in material terms with my own resources. Here on Google+ and Facebook(or what I use of it), I am gaining and retain many friends who change in some way, but who I know and love despite the changes. No relationship is perfect, but these friends and adults I converse with, are those who'd I'd fight my very self to keep in acquaintance. Loyalty is something I've given those who I hold dear for over 13 years, and it is not lost until one shows that they cannot contend with myself for a sole reason of appearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment